Wednesday, June 01, 2005

What Can I Do To Harm My Patient Today?

In my transition-to-practice/leadership course, we had another patient safety lecture today. Our instructor encouraged us to start of each shift by asking ourselves: "What can I do to harm my patient today?". The class laughed when she first said this but our professor wasn't deadpanning, she was dead serious. She wants us to look for all potential systems and personal failures that can lead to adverse events. It's good advice but, like all of her advice, terrifying truly.

We also talked about sound alike/look alike drug names (e.g. hydralazine v. hydroxyine, cerebryx v. celebrex, vinblastine v. vincristine). Do you know that paragraph, usually sent as an mass e-mail trick, about how we only read the first and last letters of a word: "aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttae in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae..."? When I used to receive this email in my inbox, I'd think: "Hey, what a neat trick" (or Hey, waht a naet tirck). Now, I think "Great, I'm going to kill someone!" But, again, this is all sound and necessary advice. Avdcie.

My Chicago trip was great - we moved in seamlessly with the help of 7 very kind and very much owed friends. It feels so strange to move out of our old neighborhood but we're excited to live in a more urban area. I think. Here in Baltimore, they're showing my apartment/room to potential renters. Also, the new incoming students came today so it's been exactly a year since I started the program.

Time flying, blink and you miss, where did it go and all that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nurse Practitioners Save Lives said...

That word trick was pretty neat! I read it just as fast. That's also pretty scary. Your instructor gives good advice. There are soooo many ways that we can kill a patient and we must remember to be on our toes.. Great post!

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »