Saturday, June 11, 2005

Genuine Interest

The first 12-hour shift of my 48-hour workweek begins on Monday morning at 6:45 AM. Since I have to work 1 day shift, 2 back-to-back nights and then 1 day shift after only a day-long break, I was feeling fairly sorry for myself. However, I reminded myself that residents and interns have to do something similar for years. If they can do it, I can do it. I am, after all in an "accelerated" program and should be prepared to carry myself in a speedy and sleepless way.

I've been preparing: I am re-reading my pediatrics textbook to review common adolescent conditions and surgeries, lab normals and age-appropriate vital signs. I read up on suggestions for working with adolescent patients but only found articles that discuss the relative hopelessness of the situation. The one bit of helpful advice I gleaned will be my mantra: "Adolescents will respond to those who show a genuine intrest in them." That's my game plan. Finally, I got a sensible, short haircut today so that I will be able to shave 30 seconds off my shower time.

7 Comments:

Blogger Student Nurse said...

Dang, that is a sucky schedule. When I worked eratic shifts as an EMT, I always liked spending 20 minutes with herbal tea or warm milk and a quiet book after a night shift to help my body prepare for sleep. The whole "creating a ritual" thing, something that the body can remember.

Good Luck, especially with the Teens!

-Student Nurse
www.studentnurse.us

7:08 PM  
Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

Adolescents respect Pokémon.

Learn to throw eggs at the floor and yell "I CHOOSE YOU!"

There was a point to this post, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind.

Oh, right. Good luck, Flapper Girl!

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you'll have TONS of time to catch up on your reading on nights.

dianne

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"However, I reminded myself that residents and interns have to do something similar for years."

Something similar = 80 hour workweeks.

"If they can do it, I can do it."

Yes, you can!

6:25 PM  
Blogger jon said...

book coloring school are so expensive. I agree, We have been looking for book coloring school all night for a new book coloring school class but havent been able to track down used book coloring school that I can afford. Anyway, I enjoyed looking at you book coloring school blog...

jon

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting blog. You make some good points. You might be interested in herbal laxative tea. There's a vague connection to what's been discussed here.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about nursing magazine and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about nursing magazine so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by nursing magazine

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »