Monday, May 23, 2005

National Nurse

America's Nurse

The above is an op-ed piece from the NY Times that advocates the appointment of a "National Nurse" a la Surgeon General who would have biweekly press releases and radio or TV spots to highlight healthy living and prevention activities. Great idea, no? The author believes that the National Nurse should replace the Surgeon General which probably went a long way in alienating many potential supporters and I'm not sure why one would have to replace the other. There's room at the top, I suspect.

Today in our community health class we had a "Bioterrorism" lecture where we had the pleasure of distinguishing bubos (the lymph welts that show up when you have bubonic plague) from smallpox lesions and Tularemia eccyhmoses (where blood fills the entire layer under your skin) and leprosy discoloration. I'm having my own attack of something decidedly infectious which involves a headache and fever so horrible and high I've been doped up on codeine the last 2 days. I indulged in some nursing student hysteria and diagnosed myself with meningitis for about 2 minutes (I interviewed a man last week with HIV who was recovering from viral meningitis) but remembered that I am not immunocompromised and happen to not have multiple open lesions on my person.

2 Comments:

Anonymous philosophy of nursing said...

Hey this blog is not about uk nursing

I have been doing hours of research on "nursing" and it brought me to your blog on National Nurse. Anyways, EmJC I was reading your blog and I think it is really cool. It’s really a pleasure reading your posts! Keep up the great work.

Keep blogging away :-)

8:27 PM  
Anonymous nurse said...

Hi - I’m a newbie trying to find some information
relating to philosophy of nursing
However, I managed to find your Blog which I think is interesting and had some relevance to what I was looking for. Thanks for your post and do keep up your good work.!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »