Monday, May 16, 2005

Moral Turpitude

My friend Kathy got mugged and punched in the head on Friday coming home from school. She didn't even have a dollar bill on her and her cell phone was deemed low-tech by her assailant so she did keep her belongings but was left with a significant egg on the head and some road rash on her hip where the guy dragged her along the sidewalk. Kathy's a tough girl and weathered the situation very well.

The most terrible thing (this coming from the girl without a head injury) was that the assault took place at 3:00 pm on a fairly busy corner in my neighborhood. It's a four-way intersection with traffic lights and Kathy said there were people in cars waiting at the light and watching her while she was being mugged and then punched.

I hope none of those people have slept a wink since Friday afternoon. I don't expect people to run out of their cars and attack the guy (although that would have been nice and he was only a youth - Kathy thinks middle-school-aged) but I do expect them to honk their horns, scream and shout and call the police ASAP.

Unbelievable.

One bright spot was the Baltimore police (and I say this as 2 officers have just been arrested for selling confiscated drugs of their arrestees). The officer who took care of Kathy was very kind: he drove her to my house and I sat in the back of the cruiser with her. The officer got out of the front seat and came around the back to give us a group hug. Yeah, it was a little bizarre but nice. They also sent out the helicopter to look for her attacker which impressed us very much.

Lately, we've been spending hours in class learning about our responsibilities as nurses and how our licenses will be revoked if we commit any act of "moral turpitude". Spending so much time thinking about accountability and duty makes it hard to imagine how any citizen can feel so little responsibility to a young woman walking home. I think it's true depravity.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Judy said...

I'm sorry your friend didn't get any help as she was being assaulted. You'll be glad to know that there's at least one person in the central Maryland area who believes in rescuing people. How do I know? He's my son. That was also a broad daylight assault (Arundel Mills Mall) and he wasn't the first person on the scene - just the first to do something. Since he's also an EMT, he called 911 and rendered first aid while waiting for EMS and police to arrive.

He was rewarded for his good deed by being subpoenaed to testify at the resulting court cases.

All he had to do was yell at the assailant to get him to go away. A loud voice or a car horn might have provided similar assistance to your friend.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

Jeez.

Jeez FHC.

I don't know what to say. It'd be nice if people weren't horrible monsters, and it'd be nice if the streets of Baltimore were safe to walk in broad daylight.

André Braugher, where hast thou gone?

11:12 PM  
Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

Moral turpitude.

The words are so hollow these days, the very word moral becoming a mockery of itself.

I hope Kathy's okay, and I hope her attacker is eaten by a shark riding on an elephant's back.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Third Degree Nurse said...

This whole thing just pisses me off.

First, that kids/cons think/know that they can get away with this crap.

Second, that some of the people in the cars that didn't act probably had some of those "christian" bumperstickers on them. Not that there is anything wrong with the bumperstickers, but if you're going to talk the talk, then walk the walk. I think JC would have stepped in and done something. Kind of like that good samaratian story in the book...

7:58 AM  
Blogger Nurse Practitioners Save Lives said...

Sorry to hear about your friend! I hope she's okay.. That kid needed a good ass kicking and one day he'll be a patient himself. I hope his karma catches up to him along with the other bystanders that just watched without helping. It's a sorry world when no one will help.. There's a link to your site on mine. Thanks!

8:47 AM  
Blogger MattInTO said...

I'd have a really hard time maitaining an absence of moral turpitude if it came to standing by or confronting the idiots responsible for an act like this. It's times like these I wonder if I have issues with anger management as the overwhelming desire to harm her attackers clouds my mind...

Hope she feels better.

Matt

3:35 PM  
Anonymous marjorie said...

Unbelievable! I agree with NPSL - I hope karma/divine intervention will kick in and that guy will get his on a platter. Despite my excitement about being in a healing profession, I find that my alter ego wants to go "Alias"/Sidney on the guy and rearrange his face! Sigh.

I hope your friend is OK and that she recovers from such a violating experience.

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://monclerbransonfr.org/]moncler homme[/url] yonxj [url=http://monclerbransonfr.org/]moncler homme[/url] idltu [url=http://monclerbransonfr.org/]moncler homme[/url] waxay [url=http://monclerbransonfr.org/]doudoune moncler[/url] jxact

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »