Friday, May 20, 2005

Final Placements & El Jefe Double Speak

We got our assignments for our final placements on Wednesday. These "leadership" placements involve working as a can-do-everything-but-give-medications nurse for 6 weeks. We were all very nervous and excited to find out where we would be placed. Imagine my thrill when I was placed at a pediatric emergency room in northern Baltimore County. Imagine my disappointment when I remember I live in Southeast Baltimore City and don't have a car. I was able to switch placements with a girl who does have a car and I will now be working on an adolescent medical-surgical floor instead. It's certainly not the most glamorous placement but it will help me develop my clinical skills and since the floor is organized by age instead of disease group, I will get to see lots of different types of patients. It's also a 10-minute walk from my house which will make my first 12-hour night shifts slightly more bearable.

Kathy (our defenseless young woman whose victimization is described in a recent entry) says "thank you" to everyone who got all riled up about people's inaction. She's doing fine and the lump on her head now approximates a pea instead of its former impressive egg-like size.

Speaking of defenseless little things and big bullies, the President has spoken out on South Korea's recent stem cell cloning accomplishments (BTW: Way to go, SK!). He has stated that "I am a strong supporter of stem cell research, but I've made very clear to Congress that the use of federal taxpayer money to promote science that destroys life in order to save life, I am against this," said Mr. Bush, speaking in the Oval Office during a brief joint appearance with the Danish prime minister, Anders Rasmussen. "Therefore, if the bill does that, I will veto it."

Which is to say "supports" means "not support at all."

Sigh.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look EJC, if you're not with him, you're against him. I was never really on board with the president on that idea until I heard Annakin Skywalker say it to Obi Wan in the new Star Wars - it really hit home and now I see the deep wisdom in it.
Is anyone else disconcerted that the president talks in Star Wars-style cliche?

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this is somewhat off the subject but on the topic of nursing in TV/media...I was listening to NPR the other morning and heard an interesting broadcast regarding Nurse TV which is a new web-based reality show starting in the fall that is meant to recruit people to the nursing profession. You can listen to the broadcast at NPR's website http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4659778

Now I am not the biggest fan of reality TV...okay I actually loathe it...but this is one with an actual purpose so I am all for it.

Jill

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »