Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Debutante Nurse

Thanks to Head Nurse for discovering the absolutely fabulous site Tiny Pineapple's Collection of Nurse Fiction or "Career Romances for the Young Moderns".

This is more or less the most wonderful thing that I have ever seen on the internet. Tiny Pinapple has collected 256 nurse novels and posted their covers and a sentence or two from each one capturing the book's...uhmmm...feel. Apparently, the collection has been valued at ~$100,000 by the Antiques Roadshow.

Some of my favorites:
Debutante Nurse (1958): "As Dana Gordon put on her new mink coat, she remembered the quizzical eyes of the young intern. To him she was nothing but an ornament — beautiful but useless. At that moment she made her decision to show him that she had the courage and will to win a place in his hard, dedicated world of medicine — even if it meant giving up her soft, glittering social world."

Do you think her useless ornament self will come into soft, glittering contact with his hard dedication by the end of the novel?

Hood River Nurse (1982): "Young Roxanna Blake, dedicated coronary care nurse, was sure that handsome Eric Newberg returned the love she felt for him. So when the magnetic skier left California for Mount Hood in Oregon to pursue his skiing career, Roxanna followed him. But her idyllic dream of a life with Eric seemed to hit snags as soon as she arrived.

The first problem was Jody Averill, a women’s competition skier who was also determined to compete for Eric’s affections. Then there was Devon Roberts, who had a maddening habit of popping up when the young nurse least expected him. Worst of all, there was Eric’s determination to sacrifice everything — even Roxanna — to become a skiing champion."

Finally: the crossover coronary care nurse-pro skier novel! It was worth waiting until 1982.

Second-Chance Nurse (1961): "CRISIS! The young doctor’s face was etched with bitter hope and desperate strength. Karen Reese looked from him to the small form stretched on the hospital bed and knew that Dr. Mark Corman needed her at last; needed her skill, her devotion, even her silent, unspoken love. For only love’s valiant faith could win this struggle. Death was groping for the child with cold fingers, but they would not, could not, let him die…

A dedicated doctor and nurse are united in a heart-gripping battle for the life of a child, while a fierce love grows between them as they thwart death with all the courage of their calling."

Yeah. That's happened to me about two or three times. Silent, unspoken love saves lives.

I haven't had this much fun since the Weight Watcher's Cards from the 70s.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Okay. The site was good, that's a given. Your comments are better. *snorking*

8:50 PM  
Blogger Jodie said...

Those were fun -- thanks for sharing!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Nurse Practitioners Save Lives said...

It's funny, but I never thought of nursing novels before. I bet some are just too outrageous!! I loved your comments.. Keep them coming!

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from _The Peachy Practitioner_: "Savannah was more competent than any RN in her class, and a true belle to boot. But would she ever meet the man who could convince her to administer her gentle sponge baths _sans_ her secret swimming undergarments? Enter the savvy English transplant Professor Poppycock with his new-fangled mysticism geared to help her feel the Georgia heat _au naturel_."

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a corollary to her committment to wearing a bathing suit while showering, I can also tell you that "Savannah" thinks it is immoral, under ALL circumstances, not to wear underwear. I'm beginning to think that this all part of some systematic work view...

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I really butchered that last sentence. It should read: "I'm beginning to think that this is all part of some systematic world view..." Damn.

10:21 PM  
Blogger d said...

Happy Nurse's Day from Axis of Evel Knievel. Keep up the good work!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Third Degree Nurse said...

Good job, Jo and Unlikely Nurse! I love these and really must grab the link.

Who in the hell would have to read any of them in nursing school? Even though we need comic relief! Maybe trashy beach reading this summer.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

My little(st) sister is going to a Debutante Ball in Colorado next month.

If I could make this stuff up I would. I can't, so I didn't. Debutante.

11:32 PM  
Blogger minna said...

Thanks for the link, it's brilliant! I remember reading the Sue Barton books in my early teens. :P

5:02 PM  
Anonymous uk nursing said...

Hi EmJC, I have been visiting sites for hours and I really like what you have done with your blog. Informative and interesting! In fact I found your site just after
I visited uk nursing
It's not exactly what I was looking for but it was nonetheless interesting to read.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous veterinary nursing said...

Hey this blog is not about nursing degree online

I have been doing hours of research on "nursing" and it brought me to your blog on Debutante Nurse. Anyways, EmJC I was reading your blog and I think it is really cool. It’s really a pleasure reading your posts! Keep up the great work.

Keep blogging away :-)

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think EmJC has a great blog! I've been surfing around everywhere and just love to read all this stuff. I found a site where you cn make an extra $800 a month! I did it last month! Make Extra Cash Here! I love Blogger!!!

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »