Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Blue Pads & Dead Birds

Blue pads (or "chucks") are disposable 2 foot square pads with a soft, cotton-y top and lined plastic blue botton. I've used them throughout nursing school: beneath the bottom of a woman giving birth, across a vomiting child's chest, under a patient's side during a wound change and to wipe up urine dribbling from underneath the quiet room's door on my psych floor. Several blue pads were included in our community health nurse bags which we take to our home visits. Since we tend to do fairly psycho-social interventions in this rotation, I was doubtful (and hopefully so) that we'd have a need for the pads.

Today, however, the blue pads came in handy. I accompanied my peer to her client's house and while we were talking, the client's cat waltzed in with a small, yellow-throated bird in its mouth and shot upstairs. The client is very elderly and is in no position to clean up whatever becomes of a bird after a cat mauls it.

Therefore, I was sent upstairs to try to separate the cat from its prey. With the help of the blue pad I first tried to distract the cat, bullfighter style (ole). This doesn't work. At all. However, I managed to use a section of a headboard to hustle the cat under a bed while I wrapped up the poor little bird in a blue pad. Of course, I only managed to get the bird out of the cat's mouth after the bird was good and dead and had made all sort of pitiful dying bird noises.

So blue pads are eminently handy but now they'll always be tinged with a little aviary sadness for me.

14 Comments:

Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

Awwww.

I'm sorry to hear that.

That's pretty sad, and I'm sorry you won't be able to look at a blue pad -- for a while -- without that haunting you.

Maybe what you need is throw a blue pad disco party to associate more bizarre images with it -- you know, dilute the sadness with madness.

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Judy said...

I have a friend whose cat occasionally brings her "gifts" of the avian variety.

Good thing you had the blue pad handy. I like the party idea. Place mats for toddlers. . . .

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well you might as well cook it! Stephanie might have some good recipes for a ... what kind of bird was it again?

n(oying)

10:21 AM  
Blogger HypnoKitten said...

I want to go to a blue pad disco party! You could start up a game of blue pad twister... (we call em 'chux')

10:46 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I suppose I'd prefer a regular adult party with blue pads on every sitting surface with no explanation given. That would be hilarious. The couch would have 3, the recliner would have a sheet draped over it and then a chux on top of that....

10:13 PM  
Blogger Work From Home Center said...

Hi thanks for your blog, I liked it! I also have a blog/site about australia based business home
that covers australia based business home
related stuff. Please feel free to visit.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about nursing ceus and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about nursing ceus so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by nursing ceus

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi :)

You have a great blog! Keep up the great work, and I'll be sure to visit regularly.

I have a university of phoenix online degree related site, check it out if you get some time!

Look forward to reading more of your insightful post!

6:53 PM  
Anonymous pet urine remover said...

I love the internet – I have several review websites to help people determine what's good and what's bad on the net. I was just doing some research on the keyword pet urine cleaner for one of my sites and Google led me here. These posts aren’t really what I am looking for but I just spent some time reading them – interesting.

11:24 PM  
Anonymous cat urine said...

HelloEmJC, Ive been surfing the web for the newest info on cleaning cat urine and came accross your site. Blue Pads & Dead Birds is'nt exactly what i was surfing for, but i see why i found it. Anyway, interesting read. I will continue to look for cleaning cat urine etc... I will be back to your site sometime...

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think EmJC has a great blog! I've been surfing around everywhere and just love to read all this stuff. My blog is below if you want to take a look. Keep up the good work! accredited online college degree I love Blogger!!!

2:31 AM  
Anonymous birdbath said...

These types of bird baths are the most common the market and are usually thought of as the traditional types of bird baths. However, although the type of bath may be common, the designs range from the traditional to the extraordinary.
Find out more about big bird nose

1:15 PM  
Anonymous online real estate courses said...

online real estate coursesonline real estate coursesI love this Blog! Won't you Check my online real estate courses blog out at online real estate courses

11:51 PM  
Anonymous engineering degrees online said...

engineering degrees onlineengineering degrees onlineI love this Blog! Won't you Check my engineering degrees online blog out at engineering degrees online

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »