Friday, April 01, 2005

Slouching Towards Likelihood

Today is "Accepted Students Day" for incoming accelerated students. I cannot, cannot believe that it was only a year ago that I was attending this event. During the panel discussion, one (very bright) new student asked us if we had any advice for her: "Is there anything you know now that you wished you had known when you were in our shoes?". Tough question. I guess I just wished I knew that things would turn out so well and that I would fall in love with nursing. I thought this was too schmaltzy to relate to 150 people but wished I had said something to that effect i.e. they will come and they will love it.

Unfortunately, there wasn't any opportunity for me to tell my perv-y stories . Because really this is what I live for and I've been informed that my blog now has a sufficient number of swear words and/or sexual references that it's blocked in some libraries. Nice.

Yesterday on the unit I had the same patient as last week with the troubling and absurd delusions. The patient's medication was beginning to work, though, and the patient was far more responsive and easy to talk to. We played tic-tac-toe and hangman and talked about whether dogs went to heaven or not. Of course, once in a while during a lull in the tic-tac-toe action, my patient would say "They're trying to cut off my hand," or "Why do they let dogs [fornicate] in my room?". I was very careful to choose words for hangman that were totally neutral and would not encourage delusions. Neutral words are hard. Apple? Yes. Television. No: "Why is the television showing fornicating dogs who want to kill me...."

2 Comments:

Anonymous simone said...

Unlikely RN, I know I've told you this before, but I love your blog. You really are an inspiration!

3:51 PM  
Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

Um, libraries block, like, Democrats' websites as well.

They aren't thrilled about it.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »