Monday, April 25, 2005

The Patient RN

I was a patient today for the first time since starting nursing school . I went to a nurse practitioner at the student health center for my yearly GYN check-up and it was so strange to be palpated and prodded and the like.

For two years, I had a deaf nurse practitioner. I didn't like her much. Since she couldn't hear, every time she asked me a question mid-pelvic-exam, she'd have to pop up from in between my legs to read my lips while I answered her question. It was mortifying and totally comic all at once. The first time I saw this NP, she commented "My my you're sweaty down here [yes, there], are you nervous?" and then popped up to hear my answer (which, unfortunately, was not "Really? Nervous? With 6 inches of cold metal jammed into me? Not at all! I've been looking forward to this for the past 11 months and 30 days").

During a check-up a year later, she said exactly the same thing to me. I wonder if she is still out there ... somewhere ... letting her patients know that they're nervous.

And sweaty.

And mortified.

I promise to do better.

4 Comments:

Blogger Third Degree Nurse said...

YOU promise to do better? I think you need a new NP.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous c-squared said...

what a nightmare. but I've never thought of you as sweaty, and I know the sweaty ones, so count yourself safe.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least she didn't refer to the general region as your "hoo-haw", which definitely used to catch me off-guard.
Heidi

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Judy said...

Maybe someone should do the NP and her patients a favor and send her a copy of this.

Anonymously, of course.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »