Friday, April 08, 2005

One Year Of The Unlikely RN

It's been one year since I first started posting with a rather serious, long-winded introduction.

To mark the event I've decided to pull together my favorite entries:

1. A photographer visits the nursing class during a rectal exam video
2. The first thing in nursing school that made me want to throw up and then, 5 months later, actually doing the vomit-inducing task
3. Saying "Oh Shit" while taking care of a patient
4. Mastering the urethra
5. Killing SimKid (it's a wonder I've chosen to work in pediatrics)
6. The entry that explains why my site comes up for the search terms "smallest boobs in the world"
7. Body fluids and the foods they resemble
8. Why psych probably isn't my thing - an explanation of the GAF
9. My first bedpan
10. Ten questions that won't be on the exam that were

Enjoy!

In less self-indulgent news, we've received our placements for our community health rotation that starts in a week. I've been placed at a clinic and social services agency for HIV+ people. It was my first choice so I'm pleased. We'll be doing a lot of health teaching and I'll have to wrap my head around the dozens of medications that these people must take.

This weekend will be dedicated to studying for 2 (!) psych exams next week (psychopathology and psych nursing). I fully expect to have a psychotic break by the end of this which, I guess, will enhance my knowledge first-hand. Tomorrow, though, I am working on a community serivce projects with students from the medical and public health schools. I can't remember the first time I haven't been with the same 127 other nursing students at all times so I'm looking forward to this.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's been a year. I never thought that reading so much about bodily fluids would enrich my life as it has. And, just as importantly, your blog has provided me with a forum to express my callous views on electro-sock therapy. Boy, am I glad that's never happened to anyone I know...

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zip!

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

electro-*sock* therapy? that sounds two terrible two even think about. i sure hope that sort of therapy has never been used at the university of chicgao hospitals.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

(blows a small electronic kazoo in celebration)

6:30 PM  
Anonymous largemarj said...

Hi, E!

Just think that "this, too, shall pass!" You are less than 100 days from graduation now. :) I am down to 39 days and counting. I have two more weeks of clinical. It is sad that I am so excited that I will be able to "sleep in" and get up at 6:30am instead of 4:30am!

Hang in there!
M.

3:15 PM  
Blogger HypnoKitten said...

Congrats! I'm 55 days and counting til graduation myself. We should have a big online party over at craigslist or something when we're done! :)

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »