Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Boring RN

I'm now beginning the first steps of actually becoming a registered nurse. I feel as if graduating, writing and passing the licensing exam (NCLEX-RN) are all difficult but certainly surmountable tasks. Actually becoming licensed and registered is not. I'm not the dullest knife in the proverbial nursing drawer (?) and it took me 2 hours of staring at forms to figure out how this licensing process works. And I'm still not sure if I'm right. I have an impression of how I might go about it but there isn't any room for "impressions" in this business. It wouldn't be so much of a problem but I don't have a lot of leeway in between graduating and starting my job and I can't afford any glitches.

So that's an extremely boring, cliche- and mixed metaphor-ridden account of the situation but it's all very nervous-making.

I had a short talk with my delusional chronic schizophrenic patient today and the patient is doing so much better. It is truly amazing to watch someone turn into a person after being so disturbingly ill. However, the patient still has no insight into the the illness (i.e. believes the delusions were real, only that the voices have decided to stop their torturing for a while). Obviously that's what the chronic business is all about.

Any day we'll receive news about our next clinical placements. Our final rotation is in community health and will involve making home visits and working with community health nurses. We also do a brief stint of school nursing. This rotation should be great and will continue my grand tour of Baltimore housing projects.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

Dullest trepan on the gurney?

Dullest pair of scissors still inside the patient?

Dullest hypodermic in the package?

12:54 PM  
Anonymous POSTAL said...

Hello EmJC,

After reading your blog "The Boring RN", I believe you will find my site on Ultrasound Physics or Abdomen Ultrasound Exam to be very helpful.

We have hundreds of study prep guides and aids to help you ace your exams without weeks and months of endless studying. Make sure you give yourself every possible advantage in passing your tests ... pay us a visit now!

Kind Regards
Emily

8:08 AM  
Anonymous THEA said...

Hi EmJC,

As a result of reading your blog "The Boring RN", I think you will discover my site on PANCE a great help.

We have over 200 study prep guides and aids to help you sail through your exams without weeks and months of endless studying. Pay us a visit now ... you will be amazed at how much help is available for passing tests!

Best Regards
Emily

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »