Tuesday, March 01, 2005

First- and Second-Hand Violence

Second-Hand Violence:
I saw my first act of violence against a nurse today. A patient became very agitated after receiving the wrong meal tray and decided to wack the nurse in frustration, screaming all the while. My heart nearly jumped right out of my rib cage and I was pretty terrified. The nurse, on the other hand, was wonderful: she was so calm and put her face right in the patient's face and talked him down in a marvelously soothing, quiet voice. She was also smart and pinned his hands down and told me to go get help.

It was not a great day on the floor - 7 patients were on "CO," constant observation. The nurse manager had to call a staffing agency in order to call in extra nursing assistants who could provide the one-on-one care being CO entails. Luckily, nursing students cannot act as observers otherwise we'd probably all have been conscripted. One act of violence a day is quite enough (see below)

First-Hand:
I tried to be a good citizen and went to give blood. The phlebotomist poked the 16 guage needle (think big) right through my vein and caused some pretty impressive bleeding. I soaked 4 guaze pads with blood in 1 minute and gave everyone a fright. I was fine but they didn't want to stick me again so that was that. They gave me a "Be nice to me, I gave blood today" sticker but it felt disingenuous (and needy).

March comes in like a lion and all that.

7 Comments:

Blogger Third Degree Nurse said...

Mercy! Thank god I did crisis management for years. When working with professionals in corrections the first rule I learned was "show NO FEAR." No matter what. Inmates have a feeding frenzy with that and mentally ill patients become even more nervous, scared and agitated when their behavior causes others to back down.

That nurse should get a bonus.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Third Degree Nurse said...

By the way, I'm proud of you for making it through 2 really tough situations. Carry on!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:40 AM  
Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

Oh dear... I'm afraid my e-mail reply today was unconscionably glib.

Allow me to make that up with a massive e-hug.

Momma said there'd be days like these. (Of course, my Momma's right upstairs working on one of her essays and likely feeling very much like this *is* a day like these, but then again she didn't have a colleague physically assaulted and then have her arm flensed.)

If it makes you feel better, they just released a trailer for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Hitchhiker's Guide

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got hit once or twice - I guess I wasnt as good at my job. The worst was the guy who wanted more codiene and none was ordered....

Then there was the time we had to lock ourselves in the med room to escape the guy on god knows what who was trying to kill us while we called security AND 911.

I didnt tell you about this?
Dianne

11:46 AM  
Anonymous community health nursing said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a uk nursing site/blog. It pretty much covers uk nursing related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I read this post two times.

I like it so much, please try to keep posting.

Let me introduce other material that may be good for our community.

Source: Decision making interview questions

Best regards
Henry

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »