Monday, March 14, 2005

1st Interview

The first interview went well and I really like the hospital and unit. In fact, I'm going back on Wednesday for a "shadow day" where I'll follow a nurse around and ask all sorts of questions one can't ask a nurse manager. But I *did* really like the nurse manager and the floor looks lovely. The patient population is children with neuromuscular and endocrine-related illnesses so it's a mix of chronically ill kids (cerebral palsy, brain damage), briefly ill kids (head injuries) and newly-diagnosed diabetics. Therefore, there'd be a lot of working with families and teaching which are all things I like. The good news is that there is a 3:1 patient:nurse ratio and that the hospital is so in-demand that they only have a 1% vacancy rate - pretty impressive, no? So hopefully I'll know if I definitely want to work there and in a couple of weeks I'll know if they want me!

I didn't bring my (one pair of) scrubs so Dan and I dashed out to "Uniform City" and I bought my first pair of scrubs (the first were a gift from friends). Scrubs are terrible and ill-fitting. I decided on kelly green pants, a black v-neck shit and I'll wear a hot pink t-shirt under the black for a festive, aren't-I-a-great-pediatric-nurse touch.

Tomorrow I have an interview at the hospital I used to work at in pediatric oncology, general pediatrics and adult oncology. Pheush.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay, hot pink 4eva! can you wear matching bangles and dangly plastic earrings?

natester

10:09 PM  
Blogger Ms. Ciggy said...

Hey Unlikely RN!

I stumbled across your blog and have enjoyed reading the whole thing through. Much better than finals, I gotta say.

If you're bored, check out the blog I just got up.

Good luck and everything,
Ciggy

2:36 AM  
Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

I like it when uniforms don't fit.

Some encouraging words from Marvin, the Paranoid Android:

"Oh dear. I seem to be at the bottom of a very deep, dark hole. Now what does that remind me of? Oh, yes. Life."

12:24 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Fine blog. I found your site suitable for another
visit! And when I'm able to surf the web, I look for
blogs as great as your work.
Please consider looking at my plastic surgery minneapolis blog.

4:46 AM  
Blogger 10 Best Home Based Business said...

Enchanting blog. Your site was off the chain and I
will return! I peep the web for blogs just like this
one.
Hey son, you need to check out my blog!

8:06 AM  
Anonymous nursing degree online said...

Hey this blog is not about nurse

I have been doing hours of research on "nursing" and it brought me to your blog on 1st Interview. Anyways, EmJC I was reading your blog and I think it is really cool. It’s really a pleasure reading your posts! Keep up the great work.

Keep blogging away :-)

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »