Thursday, February 17, 2005

Suprises & Toxic Megacolon

I'm amazed and shocked to report that two of the questions on my previous post titled "Questions that won't be on the exam" were on the exam. There was a question about bone marrow transplant patients and standing water (avoid it) and conscious sedation (demand it). One of my favorite questions on the exam had to do with digestive diseases and one of the (wrong) multiple choice responses was "Toxic Megacolon".

I didn't know there was such a thing as a toxic megacolon but there is. And it is horrible. I was hoping that it was a made up condition because I find the words "toxic," "mega" and "colon" wildly funny when put together. It sounds like a character from a 1970s comic book whose magic power is...never mind. I really *have* to stop making these sorts of jokes. Too easy.

Today was my penultimate day of medical-surgical nursing. I had a really lovely patient and got to do a lot of teaching which I like. I made a real ass of myself, though, when I referred to a resident as an intern and a nurse chided me by saying "After their 4th year [of intense, gruelling surgical residency], they tend to resent that".

To give you all an idea of the small pleasures of a nursing student, I have been saving something very special for my last day of med-surg. My mother put a Coffee Crisp (a chocolate bar only available in Canada) in my Christmas stocking and I've delayed the pleasure of eating its nice-light-mocha-crispness until the last day of med-surg.

I'm a mere 20 hours or so away from CC-day.

5 Comments:

Anonymous thinkingaboutnursing said...

Dear unlikely RN, I just came across your blog, and I wanted to thank you -- I'm trying to decide whether or not to become an unlikely RN myself, and reading about your experiences is really helpful! It doesn't seem like you have any regrets. . .so far. Would you encourage a fellow unlikely RN, without reservations?

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that you would enjoy the song "Megacolon" by Fischerspooner.
-Jill

7:25 PM  
Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

Godzilla fought against Toxic Megacolon in a side-project from Toho Studios in 1968. Toxic Megacolon just sort of lay in bed feeling ill, and Godzilla read him bedtime stories. I think it appeared on the Hallmark channel.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

related you're sure to find unuiqe and useful. The **Christmas** site

5:05 PM  
Blogger 10 Best Home Based Business said...

Charming blog. Your site was off the chain and I
will return! When I get the time I look for blog like
this one.
If your look to uncover information, please visit my home based business magazine blog

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »