Thursday, February 24, 2005

Snow Day

Wonderful things happened today: I had my first snow day since I was 9 (there are no snow days in Canada) and I also scheduled two more job interviews for my March break.

Tomorrow I am working with a psychiatric nurse practitioner who specializes in oncology. We are going to screen oncology patients for delirium. What fun! Actually, I am excited because I'll get to spend more time on an oncology floor and see how things work. I'll also get to play the is-it-delirium-or-dementia-or-are-you-just-wierd game over and over again.

Part of the delirium screening involves asking patients to perform a "Mini Mental Status Exam," the MMSE. The MMSE is a brief series of questions and tasks that measure how on the ball an individual is e.g. counting back from 100 in 7s, drawing two intersection pentagrams, writing a complete sentence. I sometimes have problems with the 7s.

Some nurses have to perform the MMSE on a patient up to 4 times a day. I think this must be extremely exhausting and frustrating for patient and nurse alike: "OK, here we go again, draw the pentagrams (again), count backwards (again) yada yada yada...". I think my own score on the exam would drop after the 3rd test in the same day until I would be considered demented, delirious and just wierd.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

All MMSE were the borogroves,
and the momeraths outgrabe.

We had a snow day at McGill once when I was in first year.

In retrospect, it had more to do with the University's power failing.

And remember all those ice (storm) days? Or were you still in Toronto?

12:11 AM  
Blogger Jodie said...

I have problems with the 7s, too. Our shrink let us substitute 3s for those patients who were math illiterate...or you can have 'em spell world backwards.

6:03 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

I took pleasure in the site and I will go back!
Surfing online for blogs like this one is worth my
time. Sensational blog.
Everyday of the month you need to peep my plastic surgery houston blog.

11:27 AM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Suitable blog, its very good. I liked the site its
from so much I have to visit it again! I surf the web
for blogs like yours in my spare time.
I hope you had a chance to check out my liposuction plastic surgery blog.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Home Based Business said...

Unusual blog. I liked the site its from so much I
have to visit it again! I surf the web for blogs like
yours in my spare time.
I know that you love my work so, look up my money making home based business opportunity online blog.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »