Thursday, February 03, 2005

Relationships

Although there should be at least one person who disagrees with me, perhaps I shouldn't be in a relationship as it seem I greatly undervalue them. I did well on my psychopathology test but got the following question wrong:

1. Which of the following are considered protective factors for suicide (select all that apply):
A) Relationships
B) Religious conviction
C) Dependent children
D) First year after birth

I selected B), C) and D) but figured that "relationships" was too vague. You could have a lousy relationship or you could have a relationship with your tea cozy and neither of those relationships would be considered healthy much less make you likely to kill yourself. But, according to my professor, relationships of all kinds are indeed correlated with lower suicide rates.

So introduce yourself to your tea cozy.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what's the right answer? I picked A and C. dianne

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I want to know is: who did you think the one person is that would disagree with you?
DG

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but what if i have a suicidal tea cozy? or what if the recognition of this rather unnatural cozy fixation is what prompts me to feel suicidal?
your professor knows nothing.
-heidi

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just another fun fact on the importance of relationships...
I read recently that they did a study at Carnegie Mellon a few years ago where they gave healthy volunteers nasal drops containing cold viruses to study which subjects would or wouldn't get colds and the severity of the colds that developed. They found that the subjects that had greater resistance to colds were not necessarily the ones that had more people in their support systems but more diverse people in their support systems. (i.e. relationships from different parts of their lives...school, work, family, partners, friends, social activities) So having a relationship with your tea cozy is just fine as long as you make sure that you also have relationships from other parts of your life or at least other rooms in your house.

I also want to add that I agree with your reasoning on answering the multiple choice because you can after all have a bad relationship causing adverse effects on your body and mind. They should have been more specific. (I had a friend who thought she had some severe stomach ailment when she was in a bad relationship. ;)
-Jill

10:28 PM  
Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

I picked E) Messiah complex.

If you think you should RULE THE WORLD AND HAVE THE LEADERS OF THE NATIONS AT YOUR BECK AND CALL (mwahahahah), then it's safe to say you need a few years to keep the plans on track.

But fortunately, there are dissenters to your "relationships -> suicide" theory, otherwise there'd be no behbehs. For the eating.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

I mean cuddling, not eating.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »