Monday, February 21, 2005

Moving On

Today we started "Nursing for Adult Emotional Health" known to the non-ridiculous world as psychiatric nursing. It's pretty exciting. Our textbook is full of thematic diagrams, samples of "therapeutic dialogue", goal checklists for positive nurse-patient relationships etc. There's not a single picture of the human body in the whole book and it's really a nice change. There are some pictures of patient restraints, though.

Speaking of our textbook, it has a batik print illustration of the Maine coastline on the cover. Please - can anyone suggest a relationship between ethnic silkscreening, the Maine shoreline and psychiatric nursing? For the life of me I cannot cannot make the connection.

Tomorrow is my first day on the unit. We will not be wearing our nursing uniforms but are asked to wear professional dress and our lab coats instead. This strikes me as somewhat odd - doesn't this v. doctorish ensemble seems far more threatening to patients than our normal nursing-uniformed selves? I'm sure the substance abusers and agitated schizophrenics just *love* people in white coats.

Note to Ms. or Mr. Thinkingaboutnursing: I would, without hesitation, recommend nursing school. I have no reservations about my choice and am truly thrilled with my program,the profession and my prospects. If you'd like, leave you email adress and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Again - thanks to everyone in Chicago for the lovely weekend. It's so nice to be home.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jodie said...

In my experience, the white coat is distancing, but not frightening to patients (spent 10 years doing psychiatric research). Many are frequent fliers anyway, so they're familiar with being inpatients.

In the units I've worked on, street clothes, not scrubs, are the norm for all personnel, not just MDs.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Third Degree Nurse said...

I couldn't email you because your email address didn't show, but I want to learn more about networking, how to get the scoop on an employer so I can find out which ones really support promoting and rewarding nurses and which ones are more interested in just having a pretty good showing of warm bodies on the floor. Nonprofit or for profit hospitals? Physician-owned hospitals? I'm also interested in how the nurse practitioner designation has evolved and how valuable it is or isn't.

4:04 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Astonshing blog. I relished in the site and you
know I will be going to it again! Surfing the internet
hepls me to find blogs that arfe just as good.
Please consider looking at my picture of plastic surgery gone wrong blog.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Home Based Business Work said...

Nice blog. I seen the site and I adored the work,
that I want to visit it more each day! I like
searching for blogs that have the same content like
this one!
Please discover my home based internet marketing business blog.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »