Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Cognitive Distortions

I was looking forward to my psychopathology course to learn new ways to describe the people around me i.e. learn words slightly more sophisticated than "psycho". Unfortunately, so far I've only learned new words to apply to myself. Today we learned about "cognitive disortions," which are common ways badly adjusted people react to the world around them. There are 10 of them and they include overgeneralizations (everyone hates me), all-or-nothing thinking (since Mary doesn't like me, everyone hates me), disqualifying the positive (my mother likes me but she doesn't count because she has to), magnification (Mary didn't sit next to me today so she hates me), etc. I would say I use at least one of these a day. Some days I probably make it all the way down the list and go 10 for 10.

Seriously, who doesn't pepper their version of reality with these mechanisms.

Right?

(I'm currently house sitting (great, great gig) and have a computer that was built this century so I'm actually able to do fancy things like add links to my entries - very exciting).

5 Comments:

Blogger forest_fire said...

excellent homestarrunner reference. i'm impressed. =)

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course Mary doesnt hate you. Really.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Ilan Muskat said...

Seriously.

12:01 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Creative blog. I just kept looking at it over and
over! Im always looking for blogs like this!
Once you sign on, check for my plastic surgery california blog.

2:21 AM  
Blogger Home Based Business Opportunity Seeker said...

Unusual blog. I liked the site its from so much I
have to visit it again! I surf the web for blogs like
yours in my spare time.
I want you to look for my blog.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »