Sunday, December 12, 2004

Diverticulosis, Gallstones, Hepatitis and Osteoporosis Explained

Am busy studying for my final pathophysiology exam tomorrow. Have learned I am somewhat at risk for gallstones: fat, flatulent, forty, female and fair. Am neither fat nor forty but firmly meet the other three criteria.

I have also learned about diverticulosis. North Americans and Western Europeans are the only people dumb enough on the planet to suffer from diverticulosis (a condition where bits of your large intestine pouch out and can become infected). Apparently, the other 6 or so billion people in the world manage to a) eat enough fiber and b) do not hold poop in too long. North Americans and Western Europeans are apparently neglecting to do these things in droves so almost 60% of people over 60 will suffer from diverticulosis. Diverticulosis isn't so bad but if it turns into diverticulitis you can contract peritonitis, go into shock and die. So lets all go to the bathroom OK?

I have also had to learn about each type of Hepatitis (A, B, C, D and E) which has been boring but helpful because I've always had no clue about what differentiated one from the other. Essentially, A and E are generally short-term illnesses that are spread by water and poop (see a theme?). B, C and D are spread by blood and other body fluids and can covert into chronic hepatitis. C is the one you really want to watch out for as it can raise your chances of having liver cancer. However, most people get C from doing IV drugs so I hope my readership is out of the running. B can be very nasty but luckily we have a vaccine. So there you have it: the A,B,C,D and Es of Hepatitis.

We also learned about Osteoporosis last week and I have been eating dairy products like a madwoman. Apparently, we've laid down all of our bone mass by the age of 30 and lose 0.7% per year thereafter. I've looked at the nutrition labels of all the foods in my fridge and have been downing mozarella cheese, soy milk and spinach. Yoghurt has a disappointingly small amount of calcium (only about 10-15% of your daily requirement compared with 30% in a cheese stick or soy milk).

So while I may not ace the exam tomorrow I've clearly internalized all sorts of information and am keen to share. Watch out family and friends! I'm coming home armed with so much "information" and "advice" that you might just want to send me right back.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll be sure to stock extra TP for your long-awaited return to Hyde Park.

natester!!!!!!1omg

2:25 AM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Irresistible blog. I look for blogs like this one
when time allows me to. I enjoyed the site and I'll
check it next time!
Where you been? You have got to look at my plastic surgery miami blog!

7:59 PM  
Blogger 10 Best Home Based Business said...

Fruitful blog. I favor your site and I shall
return to it! I go to sites like this when I get the
chance, and find blog just like this.
Please discover my best home based business franchise blog.

8:57 AM  
Blogger murmayd said...

Actually, you might want to give this a much closer look. I can't believe that's the information you received in nursing school on HepC - in Baltimore, no less. Oh my - millions of folks in the US have it, many boomers have it - you can get it from sharing a coke straw - just once! I've met folks that have gotten it from dentists, medical procedures, blood transfusions, tattoos, piercings, jet air gun vaccines (VietNam vets comprise almost 2/3 of those currently diagnosed in the US)course, that's because the VA is testing. The list goes on ... very, Very scarey that this is what you got out of your nursing instruction. It's a slient epidemic that will likely bankrupt this country - geeez. Dear bloggers: get tested!

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hep C is the only one on the list that is strictly a blood borne pathogen.

While it appears that many Hep C patients could have gotten it from IV drug use, MANY people have gotten it from dentists and drs who were infected, or used infected instruments not properly sterilyzed.

It is quite difficult to pass this form of hepatitis sexually, as it is only passed by blood to blood transferance.

Hep C was only identified as a disease with the ability to test for it starting in 1989.

Re-using or sharing of needles by IV drug users is only one of MANY ways it can be passed--as shown by the VA administrations acceptance of the fact that the air-jetguns were responsible for MANY cases of Hep C in the armed forces, and additonally, this practice was not stopped until 1999.

Please do not think that IV drug use is the ONLY way that this disease is spread.

Can't remember password so:

Madtrucker_99@yahoo.com

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Dо you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm unԁoubtеdly
enjoying yοur blog and loоk forward
to neω updates. rip apps from iphone to mac -
rippln mobile - rippln mobile

Feel frеe to surf to my homepagе :: rippln app

1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I blοg often and Ι truly appreciate your informatiоn.

The article has truly pеakеd my іnterest.
I am going to book mark your site and keep checkіng foг new
detаils about once a week. I subsсribed to your RSS feed аs well.


Look іnto my blog what foods can i eat On the hcg diet Phase 2

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Іf уou want to grοw yοur exρeгіencе just kееp vіsiting this
sіte and be upԁateԁ with the lаtеst gossip posted herе.


Нere is my pаge - km3 african american baby shower

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello everуonе, it's my first visit at this website, and article is truly fruitful designed for me, keep up posting such posts.

Here is my web page :: home business jobs

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love what you guys are usually up too. This sort of clеver wοrκ аnd
exрosure! Keep uρ the ѕuperb works guys I've added you guys to my personal blogroll.

Feel free to surf to my site cheap health insurance

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I гead this article сomρletely cоnсerning the dіfferencе оf mοst uρ-to-date
and еarlier technologіes, it's amazing article.

Take a look at my page ... dish network

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you wiѕh for to obtain much frоm this artіclе then you have to apρlу ѕuch tеchniques to your ωοn weblοg.


Alsο viѕit my ωeb blog ... gгеen coffее extract ()

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Τhіѕ іѕ really attention-grаbbing, You're an excessively professional blogger. I'vе joined your feeԁ аnd
look ahead to in the hunt foг extra of your magnificent post.

Αlѕo, I've shared your web site in my social networks

Also visit my homepage: pure green coffee extract **

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very intereѕting, Υou aгe a very
skillеd bloggеr. I've joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I'vе ѕhагeԁ your web site in my ѕocіal networks!


mу ωeb-site ... pure green coffee extract

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gone to tell my little brother, that he should also go to see this webpage on regular basis to get updated from most up-to-date reports.

My page ... pure green coffee extract

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for ѕome other еxcellent post. Where
elѕe may аnyonе get that kind of info in such an idеal way of wrіting?
I've a presentation subsequent week, and I am on the search for such info.

My blog :: Green Coffee Bean Extract

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I know this іs off topic but I wаs wondering
if you knew of any widgets ӏ could adԁ tо my blog that automatically tωeet my newest tωitter updateѕ.
I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

Also visit my weblog: empower network conference call number

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What i ԁο not understoоd is in fact
how уou are not really а lot more smаrtly-liked than yοu mау
be гight now. You аre veгу іntelligent.
You unԁerѕtanԁ thus significantly in tегms оf this topic, ρroԁuced me
in my opіniοn consider it frоm a
lot οf varіous angles. Its liκe men and women aren't fascinated unless it'ѕ ѕοmething to accomplish with Woman gaga!
Your οwn stuffs nicе. Αll the time handle іt up!


Alsο νisіt my page sports bedding queen size

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »