Friday, October 15, 2004

Master of the Urethra

I'm sorry to dwell on catheters so. However, I had a catheter-related triumph today and I must share it. Previously, my instructor has helped me out somewhat during catheter insertion by pointing to the urethral meatus (say that three times fast) and making frantic motions when I'm about to do something dumb. However, today I struck out on my own, did a fine job and, luckily, my instructor was there to witness my proficiency. She clapped her hands when I found gold (i.e. urine flowed through my catheter tubing indicating that I had indeed done the thing right) which was a little bizarre for the patient but music to my pounding ears.

It's funny, people used to (and still do) make fun of my nursing school decision and joke about the poop and pee and puke I'd have to deal with. I would haughtily tell them "Oh ho. The days of bedpans and nurses in caps lifting patients and cleaning up vomit are long gone - the modern nurse isn't responsible for such things..." It's true: the modern baccaleureate-prepared nurse generally doesn't do these things. However, I don't mind these things really; these tasks certainly are not beneath me and it is surprisingly rewarding when that urine flows through the tube. I never thought I'd feel this way but these are all sequelae of, you know, being master of the urethra.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Judy said...

I'm a "baccaleureate-prepared nurse " and if you think you're not going to see a lot of poop and pee, I think you're going to be in administration or disappointed.

I'm a NICU nurse in a unit with an all RN staff. We change diapers. You might be appalled at how excited even the physicians can get about poop. Sometimes even the docs change diapers. Really.

BTW, congratulations on your accomplishment. Good luck in the rest of your academic career, but instead of denying reality, you need a speech about how much you can learn from body fluids and the manner in which they are excreted.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about nursing college and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about nursing college so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by nursing college

8:57 PM  
Blogger job opportunitya said...

Awesome blog. I'm loving the site and I have to
return there soon! Going online, when I have the time,
I look for blogs close to your work!
Jump into my plastic surgery san francisco blog.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Ne Nebraska House Cleaning said...

Awesome blog. I'm loving the site and I have to
return there soon! Going online, when I have the time,
I look for blogs close to your work!
Please take a journey to my business opportunity in home based business blog.

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may begin to get income with a sum that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »