Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Little People?

"Children are not little people," the frontispiece of my 1,994-page pediatric nursing textbook reminds us. It's a shame, really, because I was just starting to get the hang of people. And the thing is, children aren't just children, either: they're infants, toddlers, pre-school age... you get the idea. Each type of child comes with its own set of vital signs, appropriate interventions, warning signs and treatments.

I've worked with sick children before (one summer at a camp for children with cancer and another at the ridiculously named Toronto Hospital for Sick Children). However, when I came in the hospital room no one asked to me to do anything other than bust out the crayons or distract a child with silly faces. This time, things will be different. We had a speaker in my pharmacology exam the other day who said she came to nursing school confident that she wanted to be a pediatric nurse practitioner until she met her first parent. Which, I suppose, is the greatest challenge with pediatrics: 2 patients or even 3 if both mother and father are there (or mother and mother and father and father (take that, Florida! (http://www.lethimstay.com/)).

I have my first clinical day tomorrow so I will find out soon enough.

The hospital that I have been placed in groups its children according to their age and not disease (except cancer). It's a neat concept and I'm looking forward to see how it works out for the staff and patients.

**Soliciting help**
I have to come up with a topic for a pediatric patient education presentation i.e. teach a kid how to do something health related (preventative or disease/treatment-related). Do any of you wish you had learned something about your body as a kid? Were any of you sick as a child and wish you knew more about why you were sick and if you would get better? I'm having trouble coming up with something interesting. All I had as a kid was an ugly hemangioma (blood tumor) on my middle finger and I didn't need any nursing student to tell me it was ugly and needed to be sliced off ASAP.
You can press the "comment on this" button below and leave any ideas. Please?!

2 Comments:

Blogger job opportunitya said...

Wondrous blog. Your site was very pleasing and I
will go back again! I like surfing the net for blogs
as good as yours.
Everyday of the month you need to peep my plastic surgery california blog.

8:55 PM  
Blogger 10 Best Home Based Business said...

Extraordinary blog. Your site was hip and fresh
and we'll visit it again! I love surfing the internet
for blogs.
Please come by and see my best home based business idea blog.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »