Friday, October 08, 2004

A Girl This Time (and the Unlikely RN's first catheter)

Today I helped give birth to a baby girl. The labor was far easier than yesterday's work (a mere 30 minutes of pushing versus the 3-hour dirge). The couple did not know the sex of their baby and it was a thrill to hear "it's a girl!". I felt very comfortable with the patient and was able to establish a good rapport with her and her family. Believe it or not, I did not ruin this good will by inserting a 20-cm tube into the mother's swollen urethra. As I had wished in an earlier entry, my patient had an epidural block and therefore only felt mild discomfort while I did my thing. I was desperately nervous inside but managed to keep a steady hand and the whole procedure went off without a hitch. The only really horrible nurse trick I've yet to accomplish is IVs/blood taking.

As it stands now, I could definitely see myself working as a labor and delivery nurse. The patient:nurse ratio is rarely more than 1:1, adverse outcomes are fairly rare and most people come in healthy, happy, and looking forward to a baby. Also, on slow days when there are too many nurses in L&D, you are rotated out to the nursery which would be no hardship. Hopefully, I'll feel this excited about all the types of nursing I encounter as the year passes. If not, I know there is at least one field on the top of my list.

So I am off to Chicago for the weekend and can't wait to go home. I'm skipping two days of school on Tuesday and Wednesday and only feel a tiny bit guilty.

1 Comments:

Blogger Make Money Home Based Business said...

Charming blog. Your site was off the chain and I
will return! When I get the time I look for blog like
this one.
I'm looking at the possibility of checking your work from home based business blog.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« Blog Baltimore »